Action being taken to bust traffic jams at busy retail park in Waterlooville

Wellington Retail Park in Waterlooville

Wellington Retail Park in Waterlooville

Proud members of the ship's company watch as the giant warship inches her way to sea for the first time. From left, Able Seaman (AB) Natasha Elford, AB Layton Toward and AB Richard Mead

HMS Queen Elizabeth begins the long voyage to Portsmouth

7
Have your say

TRAFFIC jams at a busy retail park are being investigated by its owners after a string of complaints.

The situation at Wellington Retail Park, in Waterlooville, has increasingly got worse as more shops have opened.

The issue, which has seen motorists queueing to get in and to leave, has been compounded by a surge of Christmas shopping visitors.

Last weekend motorists such as disabled pensioner Reginald Durnell, from Purbrook, were caught up in the mayhem and found it took more than 40 minutes to leave.

Scores of people commented on an article that appeared in The News on Monday with similar stories, prompting owner TH Real Estate to get its managing agent Savills to look into the issue.

A spokeswoman said ‘As the managing agent, Savills can confirm that it reported traffic congestion issues to the Highways Agency.

‘We are now working with private consultants to investigate the matter.’

She said there would be further action once they have the results from surveys taking place on the site.

Councillor Ann Briggs, who represents Waterloo and Stakes North on Hampshire County Council, said the authority was concerned at the ‘safety issues’ especially at the entrance, which is seeing cars queueing across the roundabout on Maurepas Way.

She said the council had already resequenced traffic lights at the exit in an attempt to speed up the traffic flow, but there was a still a problem with the site.

Cllr Briggs said: ‘I am very much afraid that there will be an accident so I am desperately trying to get something done about it.

‘It needs us all to sit round the table discussing what can be done. Public safety is my main concern.’

She said the issue had been happening for ‘some time’ and that the next step would be to get the police involved.

Havant Borough Council has also raised its concerns about the park.

Waterloo ward councillor Paul Buckley said: ‘There’s no easy answer. It is a victim of its own success. People are, of course, using the car park to pop into the town centre, which is what we want them to do, so there’s no easy solution.’

Back to the top of the page