DETERMINED bride-to-be Vicky Underwood hopes she will get to walk down the aisle in her dream wedding dress.
But her wish lies in the hands of staff at insolvency firm Benedict Mackenzie, who have promised her they will give back her gown if they can trace it.
Ms Underwood, 27, is one of dozens of brides and grooms who were left in the lurch when Brides of Portsmouth, in Elm Grove, Southsea, closed down suddenly this week.
As previously reported in The News, some of them paid thousands of pounds for wedding packages including dresses, suits, photography, cars, flowers and cakes that they may now never see.
Ms Underwood and her partner Richard Boyton, 40, who live in Portsea, are due to tie the knot in January.
The distressed future bride spent eight hours stood outside the store on Wednesday, hoping someone would show up.
She has paid £500 for her dress and another £170 is outstanding.
She said: ‘I could see my dress inside the shop but I couldn’t go in and get it. It was heartbreaking. That was my pride and joy. I found out the night before that the place had gone bust and I started to panic. Your wedding is meant to be the best day of your life. Now it could all be ruined.
‘I’m determined to get my wedding dress back. I contacted Benedict Mackenzie and it told me it will do what it can. I’m waiting for the company to get back in touch.’
Andy Caple also turned up to see if he could get his fiancee Dawn Finney’s wedding dress back.
Miss Finney, 33, wanted to reveal it on their special day next year. She paid £699 and is due to pay £100 more.
‘She’s devastated.’ Mr Caple, 28, of North End, said. ‘Everyone has been left in the dark and I feel for those who are only days away from their wedding.’
A Facebook group has been set up for those affected to get in touch with suppliers. The group will hold a meeting at Arona Creations, in Commercial Road at 4pm on Monday. They will talk about the shop’s closure and what can be done next. Brides of Portsmouth did not respond to phone calls from The News.