It’s nearly that time of year when you’ll be heading out to find the perfect Christmas tree for your house.
Here’s our nine tips on what to look for, what to do when you’ve bought it... and where you can buy one.
1) When choosing a tree, the needles should not fall off. Take hold of a branch about six inches from the tip then pull your hand toward you allowing the branch to slip through your fingers.
The needles should stay onthe branch and not fall off.
2)The needles should be flexible, not brittle.
3)The tree should have a good fragrance and an attractive good green color.
fresh tree will retain its moisture content and thereby keep its fragrance and needles, if kept in a stand that has a good water - holding capacity.
4) Limbs should be strong enough to hold decorations and lights.
5) When at home. make sure the tree’s kept in water
6) Cut a little off the bottom of the trunk. This allows it to soak up more water and keep its needles for longer.
7) Use cold water, not warm, and keep topped up – the trees can ‘drink’ up to a pint of water a day.
8) Keep away from heat.
9) Choose the right type of tree. Spruces have longer needles but drop them easily. Pines have shorter needles but retain them better.
You can buy Christmas trees at Queen Elizabeth Country Park, near Horndean, from Saturday. It is open daily from 10am until 4.30pm daily until all the trees have been sold.
For more information, call (023) 9259 5040.