MAIL deliveries have returned to normal following a morning of strike action over the sacking of a postman.
Thousands of homes south of Hilsea in Portsmouth were left without post after Royal Mail workers stormed out of work on Wednesday and demanded a review into managerial practices following the incident.
All of the mail that was not delivered that day was distributed with yesterday’s post and Royal Mail says everything is now running as schedule again.
The strike resulted in Royal Mail bosses at the company’s offices in Slindon Street agreeing to initiate a probe at a meeting on Tuesday with union officials representing the workforce.
Andy Couzens, deputy branch secretary for the Communication Workers Union, which represents postal workers, said he hopes this will result in everything getting sorted.
‘We will see what happens on Tuesday, we can’t say how things will be until after the meeting,’ he said. ‘This has been coming for ages.
‘Hopefully on Tuesday, we will nip it in the bud.’
As reported in The News, the fired worker, who had been with Royal Mail for 15 years, was asked by a manager to do more work after he had finished his shift.
He refused and allegedly threatened the boss which is why he was dismissed.
Furious colleagues said no-one had witnessed the incident and it has made them fear for their own jobs.