Portsmouth Port strike is called off as talks continue

Picture: Isle of Wight Radio/PA Wire

REGIONAL: Asda apologises after mis-spelling Isle of Wight on carrier bags for new island store

0
Have your say

INDUSTRIAL action at Portsmouth International Port has been suspended.

Quay assistants had been refusing to work overtime, and had voted to strike, over a dispute about new contracts.

The contracts would see them working past midnight with no extra money in return.

They will now vote on a deal that has been hammered out between the Unite union and Portsmouth City Council, which owns the port.

In a joint statement, the two organisations said: ‘An alternative proposal was brought forward from port management.

‘After consultation with Unite members, all industrial action has been suspended, while the union conducts a consultative ballot. The result will be known by the afternoon of Friday, July 27.’

Unite regional officer, Ian Woodland, said: ‘Management has agreed to bring people on inferior contracts up to the superior contracts and all overtime after midnight for any late sailings would be voluntary.’