Residents upset after four weeks of poor internet

Hundreds of residents are without internet in Funtley, after a van crashed into the broadband box. Pictured is, from left, Kathy Cockcroft, 63, Bev Thompson, 63, and Stuart Tennent, 52, from Funtley Village Society with the box. 'Picture: Sarah Standing (143427-295)
Hundreds of residents are without internet in Funtley, after a van crashed into the broadband box. Pictured is, from left, Kathy Cockcroft, 63, Bev Thompson, 63, and Stuart Tennent, 52, from Funtley Village Society with the box. 'Picture: Sarah Standing (143427-295)
Mutiny Festival brought over �2m to the local economy Picture: Paul Windsor

Mutiny Festival brings £2.7m into Portsmouth economy

0
Have your say

BROADBAND users have been left frustrated after a car crashed into their supply box and knocked out their internet.

Around 100 homes and businesses in Funtley, near Fareham, have been affected by the supply problem since the crash on Funtley Hill on November 6.

Engineers from BT Openreach had been working to fix the fault and said it lies with a damaged power 
cable.

The company provided a temporary connection powered by batteries that needed to be changed at least twice a day, cutting people’s supply each time.

Residents, such as Jason Mudge, of Roebuck Avenue, said it was not good enough.

Mr Mudge said: ‘I, like many others, have been regularly reporting the fault to BT and scratching around for information on when it will be 
fixed. Over three weeks I have contacted BT on 10 separate occasions and been told each time that a fix was imminent. Each time I’ve been let down.’

Kathy Cockroft, from Marlow Close, said the problems had impacted on her work as an online course coordinator for Highbury College, in 
Cosham.

Bev Thompson, of Lakeside, Funtley, said: ‘You only realise how much you rely on it when it’s gone.’

The outages have also affected the local pub The Miners Arms, which has had problems taking payments when the connection was down, and the Funtley Village Society, which has been preparing documents to send to the government and council.

Ian Read, from BT, said: ‘Engineers worked as fast as they can to restore service and supplied temporary battery power to the cabinet until the power was re-instated.

‘We were working with the power company to supply permanent power to the cabinet to restore service back to normal, as fast as we can. It is regrettable when Openreach suffers any accidental damage to its network.

‘Our priority is always to restore services as quickly as possible and we apologise for the inconvenience caused.’

After contact from The News, engineers from SSE, which supplies power to the box, arrived on site yesterday, dug up the pavement and fixed the problem.

A spokesman from SSE said the incident was only reported to them by BT on November 24 and they had fixed it as soon as possible.