Scheme to boost Gosport High Street gets four bids for cash

A CGI of plans for Brunel House that were rejected in 2015

Anger as stalemate emerges over future plans for derelict Portsmouth building

2
Have your say

A BID to attract new businesses to a struggling high street by offering £7,000 grants has attracted four proposals.

More than 20 businesses have contacted Gosport’s Town Team with bids, but many were refused at the early stages.

As previously reported, the scheme launched on July 15 and was due to end on August 9.

That deadline was lifted after the scheme failed to attract its target of five.

But Graham Jacobs, leader of the Town Team, which stumped up the cash for the Gosport Borough Council scheme, said it has been successful so far.

He said that the four proposals being considered included a cafe and an online firm that wanted to open a shop.

Mr Jacobs said: ‘These things do take a bit of time.

‘There’s four lots of the £7,000 allotted for – there’s one amount of the ring-fenced money still available.’

For more, see gosport.gov.uk

Back to the top of the page