Southsea seafront block shut for a decade could see new life

Mutiny Festival brought over �2m to the local economy Picture: Paul Windsor

Mutiny Festival brings £2.7m into Portsmouth economy

0
Have your say

CHANGING rooms in Southsea that have been disused for 10 years will get a new lease of life as Portsmouth City Council looks for a new tenant.

The building in Western Parade could be the site of a new business as the authority asks people to put their names forward to take it over.

The council hopes putting the site out to tender will bring money in and go towards balancing its books.

So far, around 10 ideas such as a yoga studio and a cycle cafe have been put forward by interested parties.

Councillor Linda Symes, the city council’s cabinet member for culture, leisure and sport, said there had been strong interest.

She said: ‘The building has been empty for a long time,

‘It used to be changing rooms and a toilet block.

‘Because we are having cutbacks and trying to save money, we decided it was an ideal site to market and there has already been a lot of interest.

‘So far there have been a number of ideas come forward.’

Asked what she would like to see the building as, Cllr Symes said: ‘We have to see who comes forward and look at their ideas.’

In the past, the authority has released a number former of public toilet sites to businesses.

Speaking about the need to raise money using disused properties, Cllr Symes added: ‘We have got to treat the council as a businesses to earn money.

‘We have to find an awful lot of savings this year.

‘One of the ways of doing this and raising more money for the council is looking at renting these sites out and putting them out to tender.’

The council is asking for ideas that increase the range and quality of leisure, culture and recreational facilities on offer at the seafront.

The tender process will be open for ideas until noon on Friday, December 5.

To find out more, call the city council on (023) 9283 4269, or email jeremy.bulled@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.