These are the latest pictures in the occasional series tracing the rebuilding of Portsmouth Guildhall.
They were taken by Reginald ‘Jack’ Fletcher, a laddermaker whose workshop was in nearby Arundel Street, Landport.
A keen photographer, he kept a photographic diary of the new Guildhall as it rose from the ashes of January 10, 1941, when it, along with large swathes of Portsmouth, was bombed by the Germans. He took the pictures as he made his way to and from work.
In this series of pictures we have reached 1957 yet it would still be another two years before Portsmouth’s most prominent civic building would be re-opened by the Queen.
These pictures show the dummy wooden dome that was built on top of the tower to prepare the way for the real thing.
And, at last, the building is finally revealed in all its glory.