All gas and gaiter – from sewage to rural church

jpns-04-05-15-032 rw aerial''chichester cathedral, May 1988
jpns-04-05-15-032 rw aerial''chichester cathedral, May 1988
Opening of the new school by the home secretary in October 1927. The headmaster, Canon Barton, is on the lowest step, on the left. Dorothea Barton is possibly there, somewhere. (PGS Archive)

NOSTALGIA: A red bluestocking at Portsmouth Grammar School

0
Have your say

Today’s pictures are dominated by all things ecclesiastical, move on to a traditional English village and finish with something far more prosaic, yet arguably more important – a sewage farm.

We’re up in the air today for a range of pictures taken by News photographers over the years of the communities around Portsmouth.

They range from the lovely mid-Victorian country church of Holy Trinity at Blendworth, just outside Horndean, to Bishop’s Waltham Palace which was used by the bishops of Winchester and on to the magnificence of Chichester cathedral.

Denmead village also gets a starring role as does the Budd’s Farm waste water treatment works at Havant – a site which treats sewage from Portsmouth, Havant, Hayling Island, Cosham, Paulsgrove, Waterlooville, Horndean and Hambledon.