Five pictures today from Martin Halsey, two of which show the old floating bridge which linked Broad Street, Old Portsmouth, and Gosport.
It ran for 90 years, beginning service in 1840.
It was operated by chains which were drawn up as the ferry crossed and then dropped to the seabed to avoid impeding vessels using the harbour.
By the 1950s the bridge had largely been superseded by the diesel passenger ferry and in December 1959 the service was abandoned.
One of the vessels, The Alexandra, ran most services during the 1950s – no mean feat as she had started crossings in 1854.
The first ‘bridge’ was made at Bristol Ironworks and a second was brought into service. They were eventually given the names Victoria and Albert. Between them they served the Port of Portsmouth Floating Bridge Company for 69 years.