Wartime bombing was not wholly responsible for the changes to central Portsmouth, visible here in 1968.
In the top left are the high-rise blocks of Somers Town, built in the late 1950s and early 60s.
In front of them is St Luke’s School, begun in 1962. To the school’s right are the central police station, finished in 1959, while the nearby law courts and art college were both completed a year later.
A swathe of land has been left clear for the dual carriageway, now Winston Churchill Avenue, while the long-delayed Guildhall Square redevelopment (bottom right) was about to transform the bombsites south of the Town station.