Portsmouth Dockyard, 1932. Nelson’s flagship HMS Victory was laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765.
After sterling service of 157 years she was brought to her present resting place in dry dock in 1922.
After a further six years of painstaking restoration work, she was finally brought back to her condition as at Trafalgar.
On July 17, 1924, George V toured the old ship and his visit officially marked the completion of the mammoth task.
Since then major renovation programmes have consolidated much of that early work to ensure Victory remains the centrepiece of the navy’s contribution to the Dockyard Heritage area.