How did the Shovellers Arms get its name?

The Shoveller's Arms, East Street, Old Portsmouth, about 1905

The Shoveller's Arms, East Street, Old Portsmouth, about 1905

The Princess Anne was the fourth SRN4 built at BHC Cowes. The other five  were: The Princess Margaret, Swift, Sure, The Sir Christopher and The Prince of Wales.

Hovercraft that crossed Channel in 40 minutes with 400 passengers

0
Have your say

Still on the subject of old Portsmouth pubs, Pip Lewendon, of St Ronan’s Road, Southsea, wants to know how the Shovellers Arms got its name.

She wonders if it was because the Old Portsmouth pub was close to the Camber depot where coal was unloaded.

She adds: ‘However, there was once a local rowing crew called the Portsmouth Shovellers. There is an account in the Southampton Times of October 1884 of a five-mile race in Southampton Water against a crew from Southampton Coalporters. The Shovellers won and although they are described in the article as ‘of Flathouse’ could there be any connection with the East Street pub?

Back to the top of the page