Apart from the name, only the mural on the right hand edge of this photograph gives a clue about the pub’s location.
It’s the Coach and Horses at Hilsea, Portsmouth, seen here in about 1910.
The original hostelry was nearer to Portsbridge, but it was built farther to the south after it was destroyed by fire in 1870.
It was the property of the War Office, but it sold it to the Portsmouth United Breweries (Pub) in 1906 for £10,000, although a year later, through a licensing bill change, it was only worth about £2,500.
Sir William Dupree, the boss of Pub, thought the government had robbed them and in protest had a mural painted on the side of the pub portraying Liberal leader Mr Asquith as a highwayman.
In 1931 the Coach and Horses was rebuilt to the castle-like structure we know today and the highwayman mural was retained in painted tiles on the outside.