Stephen Weeks, a 16-year-old schoolboy from Alverstoke, took on Gosport Borough Council over its post-war demolition programme.
It included razing 56 listed buildings between 1947 and 1965 in favour of blocks of flats.
Stephen, a pupil at Portsmouth Grammar School, managed to briefly prevent demolition of The Hall, previously known as Stanley House (see here on the right), which had once served as Holy Trinity vicarage.
His campaign was widely reported in the national press, but after three months the minister of housing decided not to intervene and demolition went ahead.
This story and photograph of the council flats on Gosport waterfront, plus the other two here, feature in the recently-published Gosport From Old Photographs written and compiled by John Sadden, the Portsmouth Grammar School archivist.
It’s published by Amberley Publishing at £12.