Reduced to rubble – the 2,000-seat Portsmouth picture palace

Yvette Pearcey surveying the demolition of the Regent (Gaumont) cinema in London Road, North End, Portsmouth
Yvette Pearcey surveying the demolition of the Regent (Gaumont) cinema in London Road, North End, Portsmouth
Dick Dimon, from Doncaster, who was an able seaman leading torpedo operator in HMS Delight, laying a wreath at the war memorial on Southsea Common at the first reunion of the survivors of the ship.

THIS WEEK IN 1978: Delight survivors meet after 38 years

0
Have your say

This picture shows Yvette Pearcey pondering the remains of the Regent/Gaumont cinema at North End, Portsmouth.

The 2,000-seat picture house in London Road was demolished in April 1974 and a Safeway supermarket built on the site.

Chichester Road, North End, Portsmouth, about to be resurfaced in June 1987 PPP-141218-114915001

Chichester Road, North End, Portsmouth, about to be resurfaced in June 1987 PPP-141218-114915001

The picture was taken by her late husband Brian as was the one in Chichester Road, North End, captured in June 1987.

The Regent cinema opened on March 31, 1923, with Jackie Coogan in Oliver Twist and there was a house orchestra to accompany the films.

In October 1929 an organ was installed.

In February 1931 the cinema was taken over by Gaumont British Theatres, but it was not renamed Gaumont until March 1953.

It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1973.