The picture on the right captures Warblington Castle as it was in 1929 – the surviving fragment of a large, fortified brick and stone Tudor courtyard house.
Surrounded by a moat, it was built for Margaret Pole, the Countess of Salisbury, between 1514 and 1526 and was virtually demolished at the end of the civil war in 1643 or 1644.
What remains is part of the gateway tower including the moulded stone arch of the gate, some of the south wall of the tower and part of the east wall. The castle was listed in 1952.
This ghostly building is adjacent to the Church of St Thomas-a-Becket (bottom, right) seen here in a News photo from 1974. It dates from the late 12th century with alterations during the 13th, 15th and 19th centuries.
Two late 18th century grave-watchers’ huts, constructed in flint with slate roofs, stand at opposite corners of the churchyard.