This atmospheric photograph shows Oyster Street, Old Portsmouth, in 1935, which ran from High Street to the Camber.
In 1716 there were five inns listed in its tiny length – the Roebuck, the Crowne, the Bell, the Plume and Feathers, and the Baker’s Arms.
A few years ago, during an archaeological dig prior to redevelopment, the remains of a previously unknown part of the clay pipe industry was discovered in Oyster Street.
The broken remains of more than 2,000 pipes were discovered and, after more excavations, the wall of the kiln and a large amount of pipe clay was unearthed.
Until then it had been thought that all the pipes for Portsea Island had been made at Portchester.
The discovery enabled museum experts to take a fresh look at the industry.