There has been a pub on the site of the Coach and Horses at Hilsea, Portsmouth, since at least the 1830s when the field behind it was used to sell timber beams from old ships.
In the 1850s it boasted a large garden, stables, a skittle ground and a small brewery.
The current pub was designed in 1929 and was one of the last major projects of the celebrated architect AE Cogswell. The style is believed to have been inspired by a holiday he had in Scotland.
Across the road from the Coach was Green Farm, seen in the main picture in 1967.
There was a farm there for about 300 years, but the demand for building land as Portsmouth expanded gradually cut its size from several hundred acres to the 1.5. Portsmouth’s last working farm was used for growing rhubarb. The buildings were converted into the Green Farm pub in the early 1990s.