Augusto Verrecchia (universally known as Tony), an immigrant from Italy, opened his popular cafe in 1933.
The ice cream served was made downstairs, always with the best ingredients available.
This picture was taken in June 1966. The building was compulsorily purchased when Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, was redeveloped.
On the right, next to the column of the railway bridge over Commercial Road is Finlays the tobacconists. It too was demolished to make way for the civic offices in the 1970s.