Then and now... Russell Street, Portsmouth

Russell Street pictured in the 1920s

Russell Street pictured in the 1920s

A picture believed to show the Lord Mayor of Portsmouth, Denis Daly, visiting Marchants Hill, 1940

Six evacuees killed as mortar exploded in camp dormitory

1
Have your say

And here’s Russell Street about a decade later some time in the 1920s.

Horne’s is on the right of this bustling scene of Russell Street which linked Commercial Road (now Guildhall Square) to Hyde Park Road, and was named after the Russell family, the Dukes of Bedford.

The section of Guildhall Square today where Russell Street once ran

The section of Guildhall Square today where Russell Street once ran

John Russell served as prime minister twice in the 19th century and his grandson was the great philosopher and ban-the-bomb campaigner, Bertrand Russell.

The pub, four up on the left, was called the Duke of Bedford and, next door, was Tanner’s umbrella factory.

Henry Kimber’s wine shop and the Hyde Park Road branch of William Pink’s grocery stores are visible at the end of the street.

n Pictures courtesy John Sadden

Back to the top of the page