THIS WEEK IN 1971: Workman blown out of trench by gas main

jpns-12-08-17 retro 2017

Transplant - The St Mary's Hospital team undergoing pulse and blood pressure tests after a training session

THIS WEEK IN 1979: Miracle athletes ready for Olympics

0
Have your say

A lucky Leigh Park workman suffered just singed hair and eyebrows after a gas main explosion threw him several feet out of the trench he was working in.

David Moore, 2, pictured, was left shaken after the experience, which occured in a redevelopment area near Lake Road and Fratton Road, Portsmouth.

‘There was no warning,’ said Mr Moore. ‘I had not even noticed a smell of gas. Afterwards, I was a bit shocked but went to a nearby pub to call the gas board and the fire brigade.’

Firemen extinguished flames within two to three minutes, and gas workers sealed off the main to prevent any further leaks.

City firemen also stood by at another gas main fire during that weekend in Lion Terrace, Portsea.