Portsmouth Town Hall, as it was known before becoming the Guildhall, seen here in August 1905.
The building is dressed overall for a visit of the French navy’s northern squadron to the town.
The building was opened on August 9, 1890 by the Prince and Princess of Wales, later Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
This grand building replaced the earlier town hall built in High Street, Old Portsmouth, in 1837.
It was built of Portland Stone and cost £145,000, but was destroyed by German bombers on January 10, 1941.