It was only ever intended to be a temporary structure, but it survived for more than 30 years.
This is the old tin church of St Faith’s at Lee-on-the-Solent.
It was built at the expense of Sir John Robinson and the picture on the right was taken about 1930.
Immediately below is the interior and at times of heavy rain on the tin roof, parishioners could hardly hear the vicar’s sermon.
The good folk of Lee had to wait until 1933 for a more permanent church and the two pictures at the foot of the page were taken at the laying of the foundation stone on May 16, 1932, at a service conducted by Bishop Neville Lovett.
The new St Faith’s Church (opposite page) was built to seat 400 people.
The first vicar of the new church was the Rev Douglas Hunter and the vicarage was in Richmond Road.
St Faith’s still flourishes in Victoria Square.