We have been quite worried about our garden and quite honestly, due to the wet and cold weather, we have kept indoors.
It was much wiser to sow seeds of early peas and broad beans in the greenhouse.
Pam’s begonia seeds have germinated and we have fixed up a fluorescent tube just above the plant propagator to give the seedlings more light.
At the allotment, there is a huge amount of ground to be dug, but I am pleased to report the early potatoes have been planted.
Wow, what a job because the ground was so wet. I planted them early in an
attempt to avoid the dreaded potato blight disease.
The most interesting part of our garden at home is the herbaceous border. This curvaceous shape looks wonderful during summer but due to the wet weather, it has been a bit of a nightmare.
Armed with plastic sacks curled down at the top,
secateurs, long handled pruners, short rake, border fork, edging iron, a kneeler and a wheelbarrow, I went down to the end of the
garden to get the herbaceous border back into shape.
Some of the plants such as phlox, Michaelmas daisies and golden rod needed to be split up because they have been there for a long time and we have both
noticed that the Michaelmas daisies, called Alma Potschke (a brilliant plant) have grown too tall.
Some of the others, such as golden rod, have spread too much and the Peruvian lilies have started to invade the lawn. Drastic action is required.
The overwhelming golden rod has been taken out, the Peruvian lilies have been split up after taking them out. The clumps have been split up using two garden forks thrust in back to back, what a job!
I was covered in mud and Pam told me to come
indoors for a cup of coffee. So off came the gardening shoes, wow it was great to be out of the wind.
The border was then forked over and a scattering of blood, fish and bone
was scattered trough the bed.
The highlight was a darling little robin with beady eye looking at me all the time.
I couldn’t believe how tame he was. He was within a foot of my space looking at me with that sharp eye.
Once the clumps were split up and the dressing of fertiliser was applied, the robin flew off. It may have been the smell of the fertiliser, we call it ‘stinky poo’.