Emma King, 34 from Gosport is Events Manager at HMS Warrior 1860. She is currently organising the ship’s Homecoming Ball, which celebrates 25 years at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard on Friday. Here she describes her perfect weekend.
· What would be your ideal weekend destination?
If I am staying in the UK then Camden in London for gigs and great bargain hunting. But, if I’m going further a field, then anywhere sunny.
· Not counting your loved ones, who would be your dream companion?
Ferris Buller (the title character in brilliant 1980s movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off) for his sheer determination to achieve the most unforgettable day.
· What music would you take with you?
Rock! Velvet Revolver, Danko Jones, and good old Guns’n’Roses or Motley Crue. I’m not so into moshing in the pit nowadays, but I still have my moments.
· What about something to read?
This is so difficult as I love to read and picking just one is too hard. At a push, I would say a classic Jane Austen such as Emma (my namesake), not that I am in any way a matchmaker – I just help couples who have already decided to tie the knot to do it in style aboard Warrior.
· What would be your ultimate way to relax?
A good book on a sunny beach enables the brain to switch off to reality and get away from all the day-to-day trivia – sheer luxury.
· If money were no object, which shop would you head for?
Virgin Holidays, to book a year’s round the world fun-filled family adventure.
· What’s your all-time favourite film?
Pretty in Pink or any film directed by John Hughes for a bit of ’80s nostalgic cheese.
· We’re buying the drinks tonight. What’s your poison?
I am currently expecting, so it would have to be a mocktail for me. Otherwise you can’t beat a mojito, or a pint of real ale.
· What are you doing this weekend?
Working. With five weddings taking place from Friday to Sunday on board, it’s all hands on deck!
· What’s a favourite local destination for a weekend day out?
A trip to Staunton Farm, Gardens and Country Park which offers great value and is especially good with young children. They love to feed the array of animals, including our favourite the alpacas.
· HMS Warrior 1860’s Homecoming Ball on Friday celebrates 25 years since she arrived in Portsmouth after her restoration. It will be attended by many of those who have been involved with her history. For tickets, call (023) 9277 8604.