Iain Kirby is the owner of Shenanigans Irish Cafe on Osborne Road in Southsea. The 43-year-old was in the Royal Navy for 23 years but can now usually be found in his Southsea bar. Here he describes his perfect weekend.
· What would be your ideal weekend destination?
Rome in Italy. You can get lost in history, walk the streets at leisure, have a coffee and watch the world go by.
· Not counting your loved ones, who would be your dream companion?
Actress Charlize Theron. She is absolutely stunning and, if her personality is half as good as her looks, then she would be my perfect choice.
· What music would you take with you?
Everything from Eminem to The Script, Sade, The Who, Adele, The Fray, Newton Faulkner, Andrea Bocelli, Rihanna, Tiesto. I like listening to Eminem and Tiesto when I’m training and keeping fit and Andrea Bocelli to chill out to.
· What about something to read?
I like anything factual. I am currently reading about Nick Vidic, the man born without limbs. I read all the Harry Potters when I was serving in the Royal Navy to help the nights pass by. I like reading magazines such as Men’s Health, Boxing, and anything to do with properties.
· What would be your ultimate way to relax?
My ultimate way to chill out would be at a log cabin in the country away from everywhere and everyone. There would be a nice big open fire, a fully-stocked fridge and views for miles around. No TV, just good music and good company.
· If money were no object, which shop would you head for?
I would head straight for Aston Martin in Leeds and buy my Aston Martin DB9. Or I would buy gadgets like an iPad and a 3D TV. I’d like a trip to Bang & Olufsen, or I’d be happy with some designer clothes. Anything with a name will do.
· What’s your all-time favourite film?
Predictably, my favourite film is The Godfather. It’s got a brilliant storyline, brilliant actors and it’s a film I don’t get tired of watching.
· We’re buying the drinks tonight. What’s your poison?
A pint of the black stuff in my bar.
· What are you doing this weekend?
I’ll be celebrating the anniversary of my joining the navy. Every May 13 I celebrate in my own way, normally with a pint, but this year we are arranging a reunion at my bar.
· What’s a favourite local destination for a weekend day out?
I like a drive out to The Witterings.