Guide Award nominee Laurel Arnell-Cullen, 17, from Fareham, performs as a solo acoustic artist under the title of Under the Laurels. She’s performing at The Guide Awards in November with vocal group MELO. Here he tells us about her perfect weekend.
· What would be your ideal weekend destination?
Bestival! If every weekend could be a festival then I would be grinning all year through.
Being able to forget your real life for a few days and dress as outrageously as you want is great. And let’s not forget wearing wellies every day Who would say no to that?
· Not counting your loved ones, who would be your dream companion?
I’m in absolute awe of Johnny Flynn. I think he’s a lyrical genius.
But I have heard he’s married.
· What music would you take with you?
Right now I’m in love with The Vaccines.
Their songs are so happy and seem to convey exactly what I’m feeling all the time.
· What about something to read?
I’m reading Trainspotting at the moment and The Poisonwood Bible.
However, after doing English literature A-level I don’t read, so many books.
· What would be your ultimate way to relax?
Having a picnic in the middle of nowhere with my favourite person, in the sun, of course.
I did this once and it is one of my best moments so far.
· If money were no object, which shop would you head for?
I never seem to buy to many things in the same shop and I usually head for vintage shops.
But if I could chooses one shop only, then it would probably be Urban Outfitters.
· What’s your all-time favourite film?
I don’t think I have one. I can’t watch the same film twice without getting really bored.
I watched Gulliver’s Travels last night with my boyfriend and it made me so happy.
· We’re buying the drinks tonight. What’s your poison?
Can I just stick to orange juice and lemonade. After the festival season, alcohol has been banned from my life.
· What are you doing this weekend?
I have absolutely no idea. I’m the most unorganised person in the world, so I never know what I’m doing until a few hours before I do it.
I’m probably playing a couple of gigs or I’m in the studio, and most likely, I’ll be overloaded with college work.
· What’s a favourite local destination for a weekend day out?
Brighton. It’s got the beach, it’s quirky and it seems a very happy and friendly town.