Alarms saved girls’ lives, says fire service

editorial image
The accident is causing short delays both ways at Southampton Road

TRAVEL AND WEATHER: Delays on A27 after collision and breakdown

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS say two girls involved in a house fire owe their lives to smoke alarms.

As reported in The News yesterday, a fire started in a home in Park House Farm Way in Leigh Park at about 11pm on Monday.

The six people who were in the house all escaped, although two had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire service says that the alarm, which was fitted by the fire service on a home safety visit in 2005, alerted two teenage girls to the fire.

They then told their older brother Jamie Walsh who led them to safety.

Station manager David Hodge said: ‘We can tell from the rate of fire spread that the smoke detectors saved the lives of these two girls which emphasises the importance of having working devices in the home.’

For more on home safety see hantsfire.gov.uk.