Bad impression set by pile of dumped rubbish

Rubbish on wasteland off Queens Street in Portsmouth.'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (141130-4) PPP-140418-173112003
Rubbish on wasteland off Queens Street in Portsmouth.'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (141130-4) PPP-140418-173112003
rw images from Simon Hart


From: Simon Hart <southsea2006@yahoo.co.uk>

Even though George V proclaimed all German titles were to be given up by his family a century ago (July 17 1917), there is still physical evidence in our city of the Germanic royal house that once existed. Two commemoration stones relating to members of the royal house previous to the House of Windsor are so readily a part of the fabric of our daily lives but are probably in the most part overlooked.

A walk along Queen Street and on the corner with Aylward Street will present a building with a foundation stone that was laid by HRH Princess Henry of Battenberg in 1912. This was the married title of Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice which was relinquished on 14 July 1917. From 17 July 1917 she was known as HRH the Princess Beatrice.

A visit to Sainsburys foyer in Commercial Road will provide the opportunity to see a commemoration stone for the opening of the Child's Ward of the Royal Hospital in 1909 by HH Princess Victoria of Schleswig

Four arrested after police crackdown in Commercial Road

0
Have your say

TOURISTS to Portsmouth are getting an eyeful of an eyesore on their way to the Historic Dockyard.

A pile of rubbish and discarded building materials is stacking up on a site in Queen Street, between the main entrance to the dockyard and a car park used by visitors on the way to the city’s top attractions.

Mike Critchley, who runs a bookshop just outside the Victory Gate, said he was disappointed the rubbish had been allowed to build up.

He said most of the rubbish looked like discarded household waste but there were also bigger pieces of wood and refuse and what looked like a site where people had been having bonfires.

Mr Critchley said tourists commented on the rubbish when visiting his store.

He said: ‘I’ve travelled to world-class maritime history sites throughout the world, from Hawaii to Moscow, and it’s a shame to see this rubbish spoiling the experience of visitors to our own world-class site in Portsmouth.

‘We get people in here from overseas who point out the piles of rubbish and site where’s there’s been bonfires.

‘It just looks like people have used it as a convenient dumping ground for people to throw their rubbish.

‘It’s not a very good shop window for what is a world-class heritage site.’

Mr Critchley called for the rubbish to be cleaned up so that visitors left with a better impression of the city.

He said: ‘I guess it’s down to the owner of the property and the community as a whole to who genuinely depend on visitors coming to the Historic Dockyard.’

Mr Critchley called for the whole area of The Hard to be regenerated.

He said: ‘The naval base and what’s on display in there gets rave reviews – it’s just the pretty grotty area around it that lets people down.’

As reported in The News, Portsmouth City Council is planning a crackdown on public littering from May.
People will face on-the-spot fines if caught throwing away as little as a cigarette butt, or allowing their dogs to mess the pavement.