Bank holiday barbecues cause two blazes

Oxford Circus tube station has been closed after a police incident

UPDATE: Witness tells of hearing ‘shots’ as Oxford Circus tube station is closed after police ‘incident’

0
Have your say

THE potential dangers of barbecues were highlighted by two fires.

A crew from Southsea fire station tackled a burning shed in Aylesbury Road, Fratton.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue service said: ‘A lady was trying to start a barbecue and left it unattended.

‘The fire spread to her 
washing line and then her shed.’

Firefighters arrived at 7.20pm on Sunday and put out the blaze within minutes.

Later that shift Southsea firefighters went to another blaze in St Augustine Road, Southsea.

A spokesman for the fire service said: ‘It was a fire in a lean-to at the back of the property.

‘There was heavy smoke-logging throughout the property.

‘The barbecue had been left smouldering against the lean-to.’

Firefighters arrived at 1am yesterday and put out the blaze.

The safety advice from firefighters is always keep barbecues well away from sheds, trees, shrubs, or lines of clothes.

A barbecue should never be left unattended.

And a bucket of water or sand should be kept nearby for emergencies.