Barn catches fire in Fareham

Crooks sabotaging for-sale cars in new Fareham scam

5
Have your say

FIRE crews were called to tackle an outbuilding that caught fire near a major road.

The incident happened today at 5.20pm along Newgate Lane, in Fareham.

The burning barn in Newgate Lane Picture: Holly Hamilton

The burning barn in Newgate Lane Picture: Holly Hamilton

Crews from Fareham, Southsea and Gosport, made up of 12 firefighters and the aerial ladder, tackled the blaze for nearly an hour.

Police closed the road to allow the fire crews to work, and the road was reopened at around 6.30pm.

A spokesman from Hampshire Constabulary said the fire was believed to have been started by a lawn mower that overheated that had been stored in the building.

The building, a barn measuring around five metres by four metres, was completely destroyed by the fire.