Bedroom on fire and hostel forced to evacuate during busy night

Cladding being taken off Horatia House in Somers Town Portsmouth

PICTURED: Residents react as work starts to remove cladding from two Somers Town high rises due to fire risks after Grenfell Tower blaze

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a bedroom on fire, an evacuation and a car fire during a busy night of calls.

Three fire engines went to Linton Court in Clarendon Road, Southsea just after 9pm yesterday to reports of a blaze in a first floor flat.

The two people living in the flat had already got out by the time firefighters arrived.

Firefighter Scott Yule, from Southsea Fire Station, said: ‘It was a fire in a girl’s bedroom which was started by an electrical fault in a small portable heater.

‘The occupants had got out by the time we arrived.

‘There was a lot of clothing, the wardrobe and part of the bed on fire.

‘There was smoke damage to the rest of the property.’

The fire took about an hour to put out.

The same crew later went to Mill House Hostel in Milton Road, Milton.

The centre, which looks after homeless people, had to be evacuated at about 5.30am today.

Firefighter Yule added: ‘It was a huge industrial tumble dryer.

‘They have got a laundry room in the basement and the tumble dryer had overheated, setting fire to some tea towels inside.

‘The place had been evacuated before we arrived.

‘We extinguished the fire with a hose reel.’

The fire took 20 minutes to put out.

Firefighters were also called to a burning car outside The George Inn, Portsdown Hill Road, Widley.

The Hyundai car had set on fire at about 11.15pm yesterday after the engine overheated.

Petrol also leaked out of the car, fuelling the flames. The car has now been written off.

Back to the top of the page