Bleach spills in Hayling Island stairwell

jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Wedding - Sgt Brian Brown and his wife Shirley on their wedding day

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Parachute sergeant’s mum had premonition her son had died

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called out after it was reported that ammonia had been spilled in the stairwell of a block of flats.

When crews from Cosham, Havant and Hayling Island arrived at the flats at 6.15pm yesterday, at Sea Front, Hayling Island, they tested the liquid and discovered it was in fact bleach.

Firefighters made sure residents remained calm and closed the road off for two hours.

Watch manager Kevin Lloyd-Spencer, of Cosham fire station, said: ‘The situation could have been a lot more serious because ammonia can potentially give off poisonous fumes.’