Body is believed to be missing man

An RNLI Portsmouth lifeboat
An RNLI Portsmouth lifeboat
James Taylor at his desk in his office at 116 High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Those halcyon days when pen and paper just worked!

3
Have your say

A BODY found by the RNLI off the Isle of Wight is believed to be that of missing man Hany Mustapha, police say.

The body was found off Sandown Bay, on the Isle of Wight, at 12.41pm today, by teh crew of HMS Brocklesby. They alerted the RNLI crew from Bembridge, who brouhgt the body to Portsmouth. It is now in the care of the police.

Dorset Police have said that after an initial identification the body is believed to be Hany Mustapha, the 46-year-old who went missing at the weekend while sailing from Poole to Hayling Island.

His family have been informed but the body has not yet been formally identified.

Mr Mustapha’s boat Brigand was found beached with the engine running at Grange Chine, off the Isle of Wight, on Saturday.

Mike Samuelson, lifeboat operations manager at Bembridge RNLI Lifeboat Station, said: ‘We can confirm that Solent Coastguard tasked Bembridge RNLI lifeboat for assistance after reports of a body in the sea south of Sandown on the Isle of Wight.

‘Our volunteer lifeboat crew launched and recovered a body, which was then transported to Portsmouth Dockyard and handed over to police.

‘Obviously we are not in a position to make any comment beyond this.’

As the crew were set to return they were then called to another incident where a man fell into the water after hitting his head onboard a yacht off Portsmouth.

Mr Samuelson added: ‘Incidentally, as soon as the crew had been stood down, Bembridge lifeboat crew were then tasked to assist one of the crew of a yacht who had sustained a head injury.

‘The injured crew member was taken off the yacht and transported to Gunwharf Quays into the care of an ambulance crew.