Boost for campaigners as inquiry into potential Portchester estate delayed until April

Residents opposed to development planned for the field between Cranleigh Road and Quintrel Avenue in Portchester, pictured in 2014
Residents opposed to development planned for the field between Cranleigh Road and Quintrel Avenue in Portchester, pictured in 2014

Air pollution is inspiration for poster contest

  • Planning inquiry into potential Portchester estate set to take place on April 25
  • Campaigners say it will give more time to plan a response
2
Have your say

PEOPLE have been given time to plan a line of attack against controversial plans for a new estate after a planning inquiry was delayed.

Developer Persimmon Homes launched an appeal to the planning inspector earlier this year after Fareham Borough Council rejected its plans for 120 homes in Cranleigh Road, Portchester.

The support has never waned and we’ve had very good support in the last few appeals so I’m looking for a similar response this time.

Councillor Roger Price

The News can confirm a planning inquiry into the site will take place from April 25.

The site has caused a great deal of strife for residents over the last few decades with the appeal marking the fourth time in the last 30 years that developers have gone down that route.

Councillor Sean Woodward, leader of the council said: ‘This will give both the council and the residents the time to prepare for this inquiry.

‘We want residents to know and be aware that we are set to fight these proposals once more.’

In response to the fact that developers continue to appeal over this site, Cllr Woodward added: ‘I think they will always try and push this to have their own way as they believe housing should be built there.’

More than 220 residents attended a Community Action Team meeting at Wicor Primary School in Portchester on Monday night during which the council gave a presentation on why it rejected the application.

The majority of attendees were against the application due to fears over increasing pressure on services and congestion on roads.

The council has previously been taken to appeal over homes on Cranleigh Road in 1986, 1996 and 2004.

Councillor Roger Price, who represents Portchester East on the borough council said: ‘I would say that the feelings within the community against this application remain as strong now as they were in 2004.

‘The support has never waned and we’ve had very good support in the last few appeals so I’m looking for a similar response this time.’

Richard Ryan, chairman for Portchester on the Fareham Labour party said: ‘I think it is a bit of double-edged sword.

‘While it gives us time to prepare a proper response to the developers and to get everyone involved who wants to, it also is a lot of time for it to be hanging over us all.’