Boy has to scramble down from burning tree house

A screenshot from the video

REGIONAL: CCTV captures road rage driver smashing his Merecedes into a motorbike

0
Have your say

A 10-year-old boy was lucky to escape unhurt after his tree house caught fire as he played with a lighter.

Fire engines were called to a house on Seafront, Eastoke, Hayling Island, at about 1.40pm yesterday.

When they arrived, they found a burning tree house and fence.

The fire also spread to the roof of a nearby garden shed.

The boy managed to get to safety and was with his mum when firefighters arrived.

It is believed he was playing with the lighter in the tree house while she was in the house.

Mark Pannell, watch manager for Hayling, said: ‘When we turned up the tree house and fence were well alight.

‘The boy had superficial singeing to his hair and eyebrows.

‘He was very upset at the consequences of what happened.’

Paramedics were also called and checked over the boy.

Two hoses and two breathing apparatus were used to tackle the blaze, which was out after 20 minutes.

Mr Pannell said the incident highlighted the dangers of playing with matches and lighters.

He said: ‘We encourage parents to be aware of where they leave lighters and matches.

‘Leave them out of harm’s way where children can’t reach them. That’s the message here.’

Firefighters were stood down at 2.07pm.