Busy weekend for Hampshire firefighters

Local authorities have been stepping up the bid to prevent the illegal dumping of waste

LETTER OF THE DAY: The fly-tipping blight

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have warned people about putting disposable barbecues in refuse bins after a blaze on Southsea Common.

A fire engine was called out at about 4.20pm on Saturday to a burning bin.

The fire was quickly put out, but firefighters warned people that warm disposable barbecues should never be put in a litter bin as warm coals can lead to fires.

The incident was one of several short call-outs for firefighters over the weekend.

Firefighters were called to a bonfire in Titchborne Way, Gosport, at about 6.30pm on Saturday.

The fire was deemed to be under control.

Minutes later they were called to a false alarm at the BMX park in Grange Road, Gosport.

At about 2.20am yesterday the same crew from Gosport went to free four people who were stuck in a lift at Garland Court in Forton Road, Gosport.

Animal rescuers from Havant fire station were called out to Weston Lane, Petersfield, at about 10.55am yesterday to release a horse that was trapped in a horse box.