Call to check electrical equipment in the home

James Taylor at his desk in his office at 116 High Street, Old Portsmouth.

Those halcyon days when pen and paper just worked!

0
Have your say

HALF of all accidental house fires in Hampshire are caused by faulty electrical goods.

The newly released figures for 2010/11 show that 743 fires were caused by faulty or misused electrical products in the county, causing firefighters to warn people to be on their guard at all times.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has joined forces with the Electrical Safety Council to launch its Fire Kills campaign yesterday, to ensure people know the risks and take care when using electrics in their home.

The campaign, which ties in with this week’s electrical fire safety week, asks residents not to overload plugs, check wires are not worn or frayed, unplug appliances when not in use, and keep appliances clean and in good working order.

Ian Wadmore of Hampshire Fire and Rescue’s Community Safety team said: ‘Fire in the home can be devastating, but many of these fires are preventable. By following some simple steps, you can help keep yourself and your loved ones safe from fire.’