SCARLET, crimson, burgundy, ruby – whatever you call it, people saw red in a great fundraiser for The Rowans Hospice.
The hospice’s second Ruby Slipper Day took place yesterday to raise money for the Dorothy’s Dream appeal.
People at businesses, schools and organisations wore red clothing and held bake sales to raise money.
Claire Harwood works as a customer assistant at the Marks & Spencer outlet store in Gunwharf Quays.
She said: ‘We always have a lot of fancy dress going on in this store.
‘We wore red yesterday, but we’re going to be keeping the theme running through the weekend.
‘Staff have been wearing red, we’ve got a cake sale and collection buckets around the store.
‘We’ve always supported The Rowans and have already raised £2,700 for it.
‘It’s a cause that’s close to our hearts because a staff member’s father had to use the service.
‘And we like to support a local charity.’
Money raised is going towards the hospice at home scheme, which gives terminally-ill people the option to spend their last days with their loved ones in the comfort of their home.
Since it started in September, more than 100 people have beneﬁted from the scheme.
In all, £1m is needed to keep the service going and £766,103 has been raised.
But to maintain the service, the remaining £233,870 needs to be gathered.
Lesley Woodcock, community fundraiser at the hospice, said: ‘We have had everyone wearing red and it’s been brilliant. Items have ranged from tops, shoes, jumpers and even a wig.
‘After launching it last year, we were impressed with the number of people that took part.
‘Because it’s a very quick, fun and easy way to raise money, it’s very popular.
‘And we always really appreciate the effort people make for us.’
A donation to the appeal can be made by texting Dream to 70800 to donate £5. You will be charged £5 plus one message at your standard network rate.
ROLL OF HONOUR
HERE all the schools, businesses and organisations that took part in Ruby Slipper Day
· Rich Products, Fareham
· Havant College, Havant
· Rowner Health Centre, Gosport
· St Vincent College, Gosport
· The Victoria Cottage, Emsworth
· University of Portsmouth Dental Academy
· The Fox and Hounds, Waterlooville
· Pavers Shoes, Port Solent
· Grange Junior School, Gosport
· Swain and Co. Solicitors, Havant
· Glenwood School, Emsworth
· Marks and Spencer Outlet, Gunwharf Quays
· ICEE Managed Services Ltd, Waterlooville
· Warings Contractors, Portsmouth
· Lake Road Practice, Portsmouth
· Asda, Havant
· Brune Medical Centre, Gosport
· Mayor of Havant and office
· Locks Health Social Club, Locks Heath
· The Denmead Queen, Waterlooville
· Novatech Ltd, Cosham
· Port Solent Day Nursery, Port Solent
· Redlands Primary School, Fareham
· University of Portsmouth’s Purple Door centre