Car battery charging sparks fire call out

Crews were at the scene for two hours
Crews were at the scene for two hours
Gosport MP Caroline Dinenage

MP vows to tackle rising crime in her home town

2
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a Portsmouth home in the dead of night after a carbon monoxide alarm went off as a car battery was charging in the house.

The crew from Southsea fire station were called out to Harley Court in Common Street at 3.20am today.

The residents had been charging a car battery inside their flat and it had released carbon monoxide fumes. They were awoken by the alarm.

Firefighters found potentially dangerous fumes, and turned the battery off. They also ventilated the property.

Crew manager Adam Moseley said: ‘A car battery was on charge and was leaking carbon monoxide. Once we identified what was causing it, we advised them not to charge it in their house or if they did charge it in their, do it in daylight hours.

‘As soon as we turned it off and opened the windows, the levels dropped down.’