Children evacuated from Funkidories play centre in Fareham after electrical fire

UPDATE: Man in hospital following accident on roundabout heading into Hilsea

0
Have your say

CHILDREN and parents were evacuated from a play centre after a small fire started.

The alarm was raised at Funkidories, off Newgate Lane, Fareham, when a fire started in an electric box by the kitchen.

Three fire engines, from Fareham, Gosport and Portchester, were called out at about 1.15pm today.

Firefighter Steve Pearce, from Gosport fire station, said: ‘It was full of children and parents.

‘An electrical fire broke out and they managed to evacuate everyone as we got there.

‘It filled the kitchen with smoke and set the alarm off.

‘They did a job and got everyone out safely.

‘It was a small electrical fire but it created a lot of smoke.’

Firefighters were on scene for about an hour as they made the area safe.

A thermal imaging camera was used to make sure there were no hot spots that could lead to another blaze.

Engineers from Southern Electric were called out to deal with the electrics.

On the way back, at 2.30pm, a crew from Gosport were called to Crofton Lane to a residential care home.

The glass had been smashed on a smoke alarm, but there was no fire.

Back to the top of the page