Chip pan fire at block of flats

HMS Richmond

BREAKING: Frigate numbers to drop in Portsmouth

Have your say

THE fire service has stressed the importance of not cooking late at night after a chip pan caught fire at a block of flats in Southsea.

Crews from Southsea and Cosham were called to Edgebaston House in Sedgeley Close at 3.45am to reports of a fire in a ninth floor property.

They found a small chip pan fire on arrival, which crew manager Steve Jolliffe said was dealt with ‘quickly and efficiently’.

The female occupant was accounted for when fire fighters attended the scene.

The kitchen suffered slight smoke damage and the clean-up has been left with Portsmouth City Council.

Mr Jolliffe said the rest of the building was not evacuated.

He said: ‘We dealt with the problem in the concerned flat quickly and efficiently.

‘We want to express the importance to members of the public of not cooking late at night and falling asleep, especially when using a chip pan.’

Fire crews made the flat safe and returned to Southsea fire station by 6am.