Chip pan starts fire at Hayling Island home

Unite the trade union holding a universal credit protest on the doorstep of Portsmouth North MP Penny Mordaunt's constituency office on November 10. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Universal Credit claimants set to lose out over Christmas

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have warned about the danger of leaving chip pans unattended after an elderly couple’s kitchen was badly damaged in a fire.

The couple were having dinner in the living room of their home in Marine Walk, Hayling Island when their fire alarm went off.

They realised the chip pan had caught fire and got out of the house before dialling 999 at 6.45pm yesterday.

Firefighters from Havant and Hayling Island were called to tackle the flames.

Crew manager Jim Tickner, of Havant fire station, said: ‘Unfortunately the kitchen was badly damaged. We are urging people not to leave hot chip pans unattended and make sure the source of power is turned off after using one.’