Clothes left by dryer spark fire in pub utility room

Morning weather and travel

TRAVEL: Cloudy weather to hit Portsmouth as roads remain clear

0
Have your say

CUSTOMERS were evacuated from a pub when a pile of clothes caught fire.

Punters at the Inn by the Sea in Lee-on-the-Solent were alerted by smoke detectors, at 6pm on Friday.

Firefighters arrived to find a small blaze in the utility room.

Clothes in a pile next to the tumble dryer of the pub set off the smoke detectors and staff at the pub immediately called the fire service.

A crew from Gosport went to the scene and put the blaze out while customers waited outside.

Firefighters spent about 45 minutes at the pub in Portsmouth Road, before allowing staff and customers back inside the building.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: ‘We are not sure how it started but the pile of clothes was right next to the tumble dryer.

‘We are still trying to find out what caused it. It was a minor incident but the smoke detection system picked it up and alerted the managers to it and they got everyone out of there.’