Couple escape as fire wrecks Portsmouth home

editorial image
A CGI of plans for Brunel House that were rejected in 2015

Anger as stalemate emerges over future plans for derelict Portsmouth building

  • Smoke alarm alerts occupants of semi-detatched house
  • Extensive damage to property in Aberdare Avenue, Drayton
4
Have your say

A couple escaped as fire ripped through their Portsmouth home early today.

They owe their lives to a smoke alarm after the blaze started in an electric blanket.

Crews from Cosham and Havant fire stations were called to the house in Aberdare Avenue at 4.58am.

The couple living in the semi-detached property managed to get out safely with no injuries.

Crew manager Lee Sheen said the smoke alarms proved lifesaving.

‘When we turned up the first floor front bedroom was well alight. It was going very well,’ he said.

‘They had working smoke alarms in the property.

‘This is a classic case of it saving their lives.

‘I can’t stress enough how lucky they were. The smoke alarm without doubt saved them.’

Crews spent around two hours at the scene. The damage to the bedroom at the front of the house was described as substantial.

I can’t stress enough how lucky they were. The smoke alarm without doubt saved them

Fire crew manager Lee Sheen

Nobody had to go to hospital.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: ‘Four breathing apparatus, two hosereels, 2 jets and positive pressure ventilation were used to extinguish the fire. ‘

The fire service said the escape illustrated again the importance of having working smoke alarms.

It tweeted on its @Hants_fire account: ‘Family escaped safely from a fire this morning in Drayton after their #smokealarm sounded. Make sure you test yours.’

Firefighters from Cosham tweeted a picture of the stairwell of the house destroyed by fire, adding: ‘Quick decisive actions from crews to stop fire from spreading into roof of property and neighbouring property.’

Back to the top of the page