Coroner’s condolences after baby dies of lung infection following chickenpox

A woman has died after being found requiring medical attention on Gosport's High Street.

UPDATE: Homeless woman, 21, who died in Gosport was known to council

0
Have your say

THE death of an 18-month-old baby has been described as tragic by a coroner.

Joshua Odeyemi caught chickenpox in May last year.

Several days later he became ill with an infection called empyema, which affected his lungs.

Joshua lived with his mother Saidat Balogun, 24, in Albert Road, Southsea, where he died on May 23.

An inquest heard how Joshua had not been eating properly and that he had a temperature.

His mother had put him to bed before waking up at 9am the next day to find her son was not breathing.

He was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, where he was pronounced dead.

Samantha Holden, a consultant paediatric pathologist from Southampton General Hospital, said empyema could be picked up through bacteria in the air.

Portsmouth and South East Hampshire Coroner David Horsley said: ‘Joshua died because of an infection due to the fact he had chickenpox and was more susceptible to picking up bugs, simply in the environment.

‘I can only say he died due to natural causes in this tragic death.

‘It’s awful to lose a child – I know this from personal experience and I offer my condolences to the family.’