A DETECTIVE has told how a man accused of being part of a Portsmouth-based paedophile ring broke down and confessed after his arrest.
Detective Sergeant Jamie Peatling searched Simon Hilton’s home in Wolsey Road, Islington, London, as police carried out raids across the country.
Hilton, 29, is on trial along with four others having denied one charge and pleaded guilty to two other counts of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence, causing a child aged under 13 to engage in sexual activity and sexual assault of a child aged under 13.
Det Sgt Peatling told a jury at Portsmouth Crown Court Hilton repeatedly tried to talk to him but he advised him to wait until his police interview.
‘He insisted that he had some stuff that he needed to tell me,’ he said.
‘I reminded him that he had been cautioned and told him I would write down what he said.’
Det Sgt Peatling said Hilton then told him he had performed a sex act on a child.
The officer said Hilton told him: ‘I felt very, very guilty when it happened. I wasn’t happy about doing it.
‘I truly want help. I can have a normal relationship with adults but I have this thing going on in the back of my head.’
Hilton is accused of abusing two children as part of ring that was based in Portsmouth. Images of the abuse were then shared online.
Melissa Noon, 30 of Tyseley Road, Somers Town, Portsmouth; Mark Day, 45, formerly of Gosport but now living in Whitefriars Meadow, Sandwich, Kent; Daniel Bell, 27, a serving soldier living in military accommodation but previously of St James Road, Emsworth; and John Maddox, 47, of Ellis Avenue, Rainham, Essex, all deny charges relating to the sexual abuse of children.
Noon’s partner Robert Hathaway, 36, who lived with her, has admitted more than 40 offences relating to child abuse and indecent images.
THE five are on trial for a total of 20 offences.
· Melissa Noon denies 12 charges, dating back to between May 2008 and December 2010.
She is charged with three counts of causing a child under the age of 13 to engage in sexual activity, three of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence and two of sexual assault of a child under 13. Noon is also charged with inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity, causing a child to watch a sexual act and two counts of possession of indecent images of children.
· Daniel Bell is facing two counts of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence, attempting to distribute an indecent image of children and two of possession of indecent photographs of children.
· Simon Hilton is facing one count of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence.
· Mark Day is facing two counts of arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence.
· John Maddox is facing one charge, from October last year, of causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.