Driver jailed for killing Gosport man in crash

KILLED Andy Greest from Gosport with his son Harry, now 9 years old.
KILLED Andy Greest from Gosport with his son Harry, now 9 years old.

LETTER OF THE DAY: Cyber fraud - your views are wanted

Have your say

A MOTORIST has been jailed for seven years after falling asleep at the wheel and killing a 55-year-old man from Gosport.

Steven Anderson, 44, of Poole, was two-and-a-half times over the drink drive limit when he crashed into Andy Greest, 55, of Pelham Road, in Gosport.

Anderson, who admitted causing death by careless driving while over the prescribed limit, has now been disqualified for 10 years after the crash in December last year, between junctions eight and nine of the M3.

He had been drinking both while on and waiting for a flight from Aberdeen to London.

Inspector Richard Parsons, from Hampshire Constabulary’s Joint Operations Unit RPU, spoke after Anderson’s sentencing at Winchester Crown Court.

He said: ‘The tragic consequences of this case highlight the dangers of driving while tired and under the influence of alcohol.

‘It should serve as a reminder to members of the public to consider their actions before getting behind the wheel of the car.’

Anderson, a North Sea oil rig worker, picked up a Vauxhall Insignia hire car after the flight and was driving to his home in Dorset.

He admitted to officers he was tired but carried on driving anyway.

Driving on the M3 when it narrowed to two lanes, Anderson fell asleep – waking too late to stop from crashing into the back of Mr Greest’s Vauxhall Vectra.

Mr Greest’s car was pushed off the road and down the embankment where it flipped over.

Anderson’s car partly went down the verge but he escaped without injury.

He got out the car and went to the other carriageway before he lay down in the undergrowth.

But he was found two hours later by police dogs and an infra-red camera equipped helicopter.

Anderson of Forest Road, Poole, was jailed at Winchester Crown Court on Friday to seven years in prison.